Tuesday, September 8, 2015

9/8/15: Last Day of Foundational Work: Relations & Functions

Today we reviewed functional notation, how to tell the difference between a relation & function, and the vertical line test for graphs of relations.  Tomorrow we are ready to begin blitzing through the book, beginning with Lesson 5.2.

Tonight's homework is review in nature (the 8th graders have been working on the topic, simplifying powers).  The assignment tonight is from the photocopy I distributed to the class today.  Find the side with Section 5.1; the assigned problems are 1-38.

In particular with my Per.6 class, I was short a few minutes I could have used to clarify what I'm looking for.  Some students looked me up after school.  I had said that I wanted the powers written in expanded form, but didn't have a lot of time to elaborate.

Students, what I want is this:  I want to force you to write the expanded notation (within reason, as long as the exponents aren't too big), so that the image of what the powers represent is crystal-clear in your mind.  Only then do I want you using the shortcut properties (rules) where you add / subtract exponents with the same base.  Knowledge of only the shortcuts is very fragile!!

Example:

2^4 * 2^3
(2*2*2*2)*(2*2*2)
2^7

[since I don't have an equation editor available as I type, "2^4" represents the base 2 raised to the fourth power]

HOWEVER, students, you don't need to multiply out the final product.  You can leave it as a simplified power, as with the 2^7 above.

No comments:

Post a Comment